This study, THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN COUNSELLORS PERSONALITY AND STUDENT PERCEPTION OF THE COUNSELORS AS A HELPER contains concise information that will serve as a framework or guide for your project work. The project study is well-researched for academic purposes and are usually provided in complete chapters with adequate References.
Keywords: THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN COUNSELLORS PERSONALITY AND STUDENT PERCEPTION OF THE COUNSELORS AS A HELPER
This study is examined the relationship between students, perception of counselors characteristics and their confidence in this contraction to help them the sample for this study was made up of two hundred senior secondary school students from four schools in Odeda Local Government area in Abeokuta.The instrument used for the research project was a questionnaire the results were analyzed with the us of persons product moment correlation and test.Seven null hypothesis were tested three rejected and four was accepted.
THE RESULTS SHOWED FOLLOWING:
- There is a significant relationship between counselors expertness and students confidence in the counselors as a lawyer.
- There is a significant relationship between counselors attractiveness and students confidence in the counselor.
- There is a significant relationship between counselors trustworthiness and students confidence in the counselors.
- There is no significant gender difference in students’ perceivers’ counselors’ experiences.
- There is no significant gender difference in students perceived counselors attractiveness.
- There is no significant gender difference in students perceived counselor trust worthiness.
- There is no significant gender difference in the level of confidence in the level confidence students reposed in the school counselors.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.1 Background of Problem
1.2 Statement of Problem
1.3 Purpose of the Study
1.4 Research Question
1.5 Research Hypothesis
1.6 Significance of Study
1.7 Limitation/Scope of Study
1.8 Operational Definition of Terms
2.0 Literature Review
2.1 The Concept of Counselor’s Personality
2.2 Influence of the Students Grate in their Perception of their Counselors
2.3 The Role of the Counselors
2.4 The Qualities of the Counselors
2.5 Review of Empirical Studies
2.6 Perception of the Counselor
3.1 Research Design
3.2 Sampling and Sampling Procedure
3.3 Method of Data Collection
3.4 Research Instrument
3.5 Method of Data Analysis
4.0 Data Analysis and Interpretation
4.2 Hypothesis One
4.3 Hypothesis Two
4.4 Hypotheses Three
4.5 Hypotheses Four
4.6 Hypotheses Five
4.7 Hypotheses Six
4.8 Hypothesis Seven
4.9 Summary of Findings
5.0 Discussion, Conclusion and Recommendation
5.5 Suggestions for Further Studies
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
That people differ from each is obvious how and why they differ is less clear and it is an important of the study of personality.
Personality psychology addresses the questions of individual differences and unique patterns of individuals. The professional counselor is an expert in his field and also has cultivated skills in helping people understand their situations for which they assume responsibility Ubangha(1996) stated that the counselors personality is relevant to his effectiveness and that a key element in any counseling relationship is the person of the counselors the counselors personality consist of the total pattern of characteristics ways of thinking, feeling and behaving that constitute his method of relating to environment.
The counselors status may encourage or discourage a student for example some student would not want a father figure as a counselors. Some prefer young unmarried counselors, so they can interact as friends some are also of the belief that the older a counselor the wiser he is students have gender preferences the girls will rather go to the male counselor while the boys will go to the male counselor. The counselor is seen by students as a disciplinarian and one who assists in publishing students who misbehave. The national policy on education stressed the need forwhich counselors in Nigeria schools, however these new professional in the school system are still confronted with the issue of what role they should play in the system as counselors. Ipaye(1986) defined a role as a part or function assumed by someone, a set of specific responsibilities which should be assumed by the counselor in the school setting.
Perception of the counselor have been explored by Oyegbami (1978) in this study with students of Comprehensive High School Aiyetorothe discovered that students held wrong perception of their counselors role. The students do not perceive the counselors as a helper but rather believed that the counselor is one who punish those who misbehave.
Even though the students saw the counselors as an assistant in their vocational and educational plans, they were not quite sure that role the counselor ought to play in their educational experiences.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Students view counselor as just anybody on the street trying to instill discipline, student believe that there is little or no benefit to derive from a counselor. To them a guidance programme is often seen as a luxary that needs periodic justification Denga (1983) sought to establish how students perceive the counselor role as a helper and found out that none of this group clearly understood the role of the counselor as a threat to their privacy because they believed that he/she was not likely to maintain in confidentially in matters disused with them.
1.3 PURPOSE OF STUDY
The purpose of this study to determine
- The effect of counselors status on students perception of the counselor as a helper
- The relationship between the personality of the counselor and the students perception of the counselor of the helper.
- To what extent does the personality of the counselor effect the students perception of the counselor.
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTION
The study attempts to answer the following questions
- To what extent does the counselors status students perception of the counselor as ahelper.
- To what extent does the personality of the counselor affect the student perception.
- To what extent does counselors gender affects the students perception of the counselor.
1.5 RESEARCH HYPOTHESIS
The following pull hypothesis have been formulated for the study.
- There relationship between perceived counselor experience students confidence the counselors to help
- There will be no significant relationship between counselor attendance and students.
- There will be no significant relationship between perceived counselor similarities and students confidence in this counselor
- There will be no significant gender different in the level of confidence students statements refused in the counselor as helper.
1.6 SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
This study will be of benefit to students especially to curb and see how important the roles of the counselor are. This study is also significant to counselors as the information collected can be used to formulate policy which will be used for psychological approach to deal with this student.
The study will influence the students positivity it will enable them have a clearer view about the counselor role.
1.7 LIMITATION TO THE STUDY
The study will be limited to five senior secondary schools in Isolo Lagos State due to accessibility of data, finance, time and the geographical location of the place.
1.8 DEFINITION OF TERMS
PERSONALITY:- A total pattern of characteristics of ways of thinking, felling and behaving that constitute the individuals distinctive method of relating to the environment.
ROLES:- A part of function assumed by someone, a set of specific responsibilities assumed by a professional worker (Ipaye 1986).
PERCEPTION:- A process of creating meaningful patterns from raw sensory information and a manifestation process of distinguishing figures, interpretation of complex flow of information from the various senses (Jullivan, et al, 1991).
Keywords:THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN COUNSELLORS PERSONALITY AND STUDENT PERCEPTION OF THE COUNSELORS AS A HELPER
[divider height=”30″ style=”default” line=”default” themecolor=”1″]
[alert style=”warning”]NOTE: INSTANT DOWNLOAD SERVICE [/alert]
Have you made payment for this project? If YES, Get a Download Code by contacting our Customer Care.
If NO, Place an Order Now.
[divider height=”30″ style=”default” line=”default” themecolor=”1″]