PROJECT TOPIC :THE ROLE OF MARKETING CO-OPERATIVE IN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA
CHAPTERS: Chapter 1 – 5
PRICE : #3, 000
FORMAT: Ms Word
This study,THE ROLE OF MARKETING CO-OPERATIVE IN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA contains concise information that will serve as a framework or guide for your project work. The project study is well-researched for academic purposes and are usually provided in complete chapters with adequate References.
Keywords:THE ROLE OF MARKETING CO-OPERATIVE IN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA
This project looked into the role of marketing co-operative in economics development of Nigeria (a case study of Rice marketing co-operative in Onodo, Mbaitolu, Imo State). A survey was conducted on the type of marketing co-operative in Orodo marketing and the management and organization of Orodo marketing co-operatives to obtain relevant data on the views of the respondents towards he marketing co-operatives. The information was collected from two categories of respondents viz: members of the organization and the local government co-operative council of Mbaitolu local government area.
The major instrument used for data collection was questionnaire. The data collected were analyzed using the percentage system of data analysis. The study found out that the societies in the area encouraged the habit of savings among members, give little loans to members and foster unity among them. They also sell goods at low prices and produce food stuff (rice) for the area.
However, the study showed that growth of marketing co-operatives in the area is affected by problems such as frauds, ineffective management by those in charge of running the co-operatives, lack of finance and non-payment of loans among others.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Background of the study
Statement of the problem
Purpose of the study
Significance of the study
Definition of terms
History of marketing co-operative in Nigeria
Marketing co-operatives and development in Mbaitolu
Functions of Orodo Rice marketing co-operative
Criteria for performance appraisal
Structure and organization of marketing co-operative in Nigeria
Sources of data collection
Population of the study
Description of data
Method of analysis of data
Data presentation and analysis
Summary, recommendation and conclusion
Remarks on findings
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
Marketing co-operative societies as a forum or type of business organization came about where people with common interest unite themselves into a group financed and controlled by them for the purpose of marketing some of the commodities produced by members or from other sources in order to achieve their goals (co-operative societies started in Nigeria in the life patterns of various communities in the country showed some traits of co-operative activities before the advent of modern co-operative activities before the advent of modern co-operative societies.
This is because most communities in Nigeria generally had (and other still have) series of association, youth associations, etc.
According to Iheanacho co-operative/marketing co-operative office in Mbaitolu, which were created from Mbaitolu/Ikeduru local government area of Imo state of Nigeria in 1989 with the formation of multi-purpose co-operatives societies. With the increase in the formation of new co-operative societies in Nigeria is a clear indication that many people and institutions alile have found co-operative societies, a useful tool in furthering different interests.
In the fourth national development plan, government has pledged to give all necessary encouragement towards the growth and development of the co-operative sector in the country.
In analyzing the marketing co-operatives in Mbaitolu attentions must be paid to their basil agricultural product, hence just like other area within the East. They are mainly farmers. But most importantly, some parts of this area are not for the production large quantity. Orodo people, Amukwu and Odunmana do produce rice. This work is also to analyse the effects of this production of rice on national development with special reference to Mbaitolu.
Okafor (1998) claimed that the establishment of marketing co-operative societies could enhance the standard of living of the masses of the area, contribute to the education of members and facilitate the marketing activities of farmers and to economic development of Nigeria.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
The associated problem with marketing co-operative which inhibits the expected level of development are many. Apart from the role of government and is agencies in encouraging and creating enabling environment for these co-operative to thrive are still questionable, hence the poor level of agriculture/co-operative activities. Below are some of the strictly questions to be analysed in the course of this work.
1. To what extent has the government been supportive of co-operative societies.
2. Why has there been excessive migration from agriculture to white collar jobs.
3. To what extent has marketing co-operative helped in Nigeria development.
4. In the light of this, the researcher looks into indentifying the means of improving the roles of those societies in the economic development of the area of operation.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
There are two main objectives namely:
1. General objective.
2. Specific objective
The general objective is aimed at evaluating and finding enabling farm work for national development through marketing of rice.
The specific objectives are as follows:
1. To find out the level of socialization of agriculture in term s of inputs being used for agriculture.
2. To find out the extent of support by the government to co-operative societies.
3. To find out the extent of development in Nigeria as encouraged by marketing co-operatives.
4. To find out the source of funds for marketing co-operative societies in the area, the economic achievements recorded, their problem and strategies for solving them.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The study will no doubt be of immense benefits to the marketing co-operative societies in Mbaitolu in particular and for Imo state of Nigeria in general. This is because attention shall be focused on the various problems affecting their effective performance. Secondly, the study will being to lime light the hidden importance of co-operative societies thus generating a great degree of government support.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
The research questions for the study were made up of the following:
1. What are the contributions of marketing co-operative societies towards output growth?
2. What are the contributions of marketing co-operative societies towards the increase on capital development?
3. What are the various sources of finance for Mbaitolu local government area?
4. What are the contributions of marketing co-operative societies towards the provision of infrastructural facilities in this area?
5. What are the various problem confronting rice marketing co-operative in Mbaitolu.
1.5 DEFINITION OF TERMS
1. Role: the task or duties of co-operative societies
2. Economic development: any activities or activity likely to improve the standard of living of individuals and the societies in general.
3. Rice marketing co-operative society: They market jointly all rice produced by the individuals members
4. Multi-purpose co-operative society: this type of co-operative comes about when a co-operative has different objectives or role to perform.
5. Farmers co-operative societies: these are associations of farmers who come together to produce jointly using co-operative tools.
6. Consumer co-operative: they consume goods and sell to their members. This avoiding the exploits of the middlemen.
7. Co-operative societies: they ate registered associations of people who come together to better economic conditions of members.
8 Primary co-operative societies: they are usually formed with a minimum of ten persons. Primary societies consist of producers, consumers, marketing, thrift and credit co-operatives societies.
9. Secondary co-operative societies: they are also reformed to as co-operative union. It is the coming together of two or more co-operative union. The co-operative and control of the activities of the primary societies.
10. Marketing: the performance of business activities that directs the flow of goods and services from producers to buyers.
Keywords: THE ROLE OF MARKETING CO-OPERATIVE IN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIA